Grown ups

Law and money services

Law and money services


Australian Government Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business
This website has detailed information about government employment services and training programs.

On this Australian Government website you can search and apply for jobs, find apprenticeships and traineeships and find your local employment services provider.

This is a national careers information website, jointly managed by all the state and territory governments. It has extensive information about jobs, careers, education and training to help young people plan for their future. It includes a section for parents on helping your child choose a career.


Australian Government - Family law links
This Australian Government website has links to information about family law in Australia.

Family Court of Australia
The Family Court deals with family matters like divorce and decisions about who should care for children after a separation. The website has a section called About going to court, which explains what's involved.

Family Relationships Online
This Australian Government website has information and advice about family relationships. It has extensive information for both children and adults on topics like family violence, separation and the law.

Law Council of Australia
The Law Council represents the legal profession in Australia. It advises governments and the courts on law and the justice system. The Family Law Section of the Council has links to state and territory law associations that can help you find a family lawyer.

Youth Law Australia
This is a national community legal service for young people, advocating for children's rights and providing legal advice and referrals. The website has comprehensive information about the rights and responsibilities of children and young people in every state and territory in Australia. It's written for young people, but it's a useful resource for parents as well.

Find out how the law applies to young people in Australia in our article on teenagers and the law.


Australian Government - myGov
This Australian Government website is a secure way to access government services online with one login and one password. You can manage Centrelink, Child Support and Medicare claims and payments, receive notifications and update your details in a central place.

Australian Government Department of Human Services - Medicare
Medicare is Australia's universal health care system. It lets you get free or low-cost health care. This Department of Human Services webpage has information on what's covered by Medicare, how to make claims, how to claim medical benefits and other services and assistance schemes.

Australian Government Department of Human Services - Parent's guide to child support
The Department of Human Services administers the Child Support Scheme and helps separated parents manage the responsibility of financial support for their children. This webpage has an online estimator to help you work out how much child support you should pay or receive.

Australian Government Department of Human Services - People with disability
This Department of Human Services webpage has information about disability and carer allowances.

Australian Government Department of Social Services - Disability and Carers
In this section of the Department of Social Services website, you'll find information about Carer Payment, Carer Allowance and respite services for carers of young people with a disability.

Centrelink delivers a range of payments and services for families, carers, parents, people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and people looking for work. Centrelink is managed by the Australian Government Department of Human Services (DHS).

Commonwealth Financial Counselling (CFC)
Funded by the Australian Government, Commonwealth Financial Counselling (CFC) services help people in personal financial difficulty address their financial problems and make informed choices. Call the national helpline to find a financial counsellor near you. Phone 1800 007 007.

Financial Information Service
The Financial Information Service (FIS) helps people understand their financial affairs and make informed decisions about investing money. FIS officers provide information to people over the phone, at personal interviews and through financial education seminars held in a range of locations across Australia. To speak to a FIS officer call 132 300.

This is a website run by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to help people manage their personal finances. It has information and advice on dealing with situations that cause financial strain. These situations include losing your job, having a baby, getting divorced or separated, buying a home or losing your partner. The website can also help you find a financial counsellor.

Get tips and advice on managing money, and find out about law and money for grandparents and kinship carers.